Sunday, January 8, 2012

Tech girl study about Health??? Confused!! Type 2 Diabetes.



I always curious about why my friends eat so much, they are still skinny. While I've tried to restrict my food consumption, I'm still overweight according to my BMI. It seems strange to me, my father, he work as a hawker, he made his own noodles and he once was an active basket ball player. Most importantly, he is not overweight at all! Such a normal healthy person shouldn't get diabetes! Because according to the WHO Diabetes Fact Sheet:
Type 2 diabetes (formerly called non-insulin-dependent or adult-onset) results from the body’s ineffective use of insulin. Type 2 diabetes comprises 90% of people with diabetes around the world, and is largely the result of excess body weight and physical inactivity.
That is a bullshit!!! My dad is not in the overweight category and he is an active person! According to his old friends, he is EXTREMELY active and that's why he hurt himself and got hernia problem. His condition cannot be considered as Type 1 Diabetes. He definitely not getting the Gestational Diabetes because he is not pregnant. 

I found this diabetes thing very interesting. Chinese always refer it as 富贵病. Some sickness due to prosperity of life and good food. HOWEVER, when we try to look at the NUMBERS (as always, I'm an engineer, I trust the numbers more than the text). That's not true at all!

Take a look at the numbers comparing the countries and populations I found below:
Source: WHO (They have all the data Worldwide) Disclaimer: Data used 2008 non-age-standardized
Percent of defined population with fasting glucose ≥126 mg/dl (7.0 mmol/l) for raised blood glucose.
    United States of America 12.3



    United Kingdom 8.3



    India 10



    Malaysia 10.5









Percent of defined population Overweight / Obesity, Overweight (body mass index ≥ 25)
    United States of America 69.4



    United Kingdom 61.5



    India 11.2



    Malaysia 44.6









Percent of defined population Physical inactivity, Physical inactivity
    United States of America 43.2



    United Kingdom 66.5



    India 14



    Malaysia 60.5



My conclusion from the data above (you may get more from WHO), why a country with so little of overweight people, have higher rate of getting diabetes? Compare India and UK. It also clear that "not all overweight people have diabetes". Just looking at the Indian who work hard, leading a vegetarian life. It is mathematically illogical to see such high rate of diabetes in India!

WHO, should you re-reconcile your definition of Type 2 Diabetes?






























No comments:

Post a Comment